- Description: A two-sided tri-fold brochure.
- Process (Programs, Tools, Skills): I set up the tri-fold brochure in Adobe InDesign with 2-pages divided into six sections. One for the back, front, and center fold and three for the body columns. I selected a light gold and indigo complimentary color scheme because it is reminiscent of the colors of the common swallowtail butterfly.
I used Adobe Illustrator to create the logo. To create the butterfly, I used a picture of a swallowtail butterfly and the live trace tool. After tracing the image I smoothed the lines and curves using the pen tool to adjust specific points and curves. I used the same butterfly wing in the logo to create the butterfly wing on the front edge and as the water marks behind the body copy.
I used Adobe Photoshop to remove the background of the high definition butterfly wing on the center fold and several of the butterfly species on the inside. I did this by using the quick selection tool to carefully select the body and wings of the butterflies. Then I used the refine edge tool to smooth the edges and save the selection as a layer mask.
After placing the butterflies in the InDesign document, I used the text wrap tool to wrap the text around a few of the butterflies.
Finally, I did several test prints to make sure the folds and overlapping images were aligned just right and cut out the butterfly wing edge on the final copy using an exact-o knife.
- Message: An informational brochure about Swallowtail butterflies.
- Audience: Anyone who wants to learn more about this common but beautiful backyard butterfly.
- Top Thing Learned: I learned that it takes alot of test prints to make folded and cut out images align just right. I also learned how to remove backgrounds in Photoshop, how to set up InDesign documents with ruler guides and grids, and how to wrap text around an image.
- Color scheme and color names:
Complimentary: Indigo and gold (very light).
- Title Font Name & Category: Vijaya – Script
- Copy Font Name & Category: Fira Sans – Sans Serif
- Word Count of copy: 278
- Thumbnails of Images used:
- Sources (Links to images on original websites)